28 May 2009

Photo cartoon

Since months ago, while I was running my webcomic I wanted to experiment with something different (no worry, is an one-shot, will not transform in a series), but I needed a lot of logistics for it and had to wait for the right time, the eLiberatica conference when I got the actors, the costumes, the props, the background, almost everything (not everything since I lacked the time to develop a better story).

[fedora photo cartoon]


When I took the photos the story was supposed to be different but when looking at the photos I noticed the boys are doing "the sign" wrongly so my first reaction was to crap the photos and ask them removed from Fedora for not getting such basic things. But then I realized the photographer (me) is guilty, as he has the duty to ensure the subjects are in the correct place and position, so scrapped the plan B and went back to the cartoon but with an adapted story.

Note: it was made with a combination of GIMP and Inkscape, maybe one day I will get the time to write a tutorial about the process.

8 comments:

  1. worst font ever :)
    'I' is blending with other characters. but still great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know a better Free font? ...it *must* be Free, otherwise the cartoon is not free enough. A while ago I used another Free wont (handfont), but it was even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your interested in trying to fix handfont by changing the kerning or setting up kerning pairs I have the original fontforge project somewhere. Or if it's not suited to your needs then thats fine also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Benji, I used handfont for quite a while, but after a lot of negative feedback received on my blog I changed it with rufscript and people seemed to like the change.

    For now I stopped my weekly comic, so will use this type of fonts a lot less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And BTW, nice to see you Benji! long time no see, how are you? what are the projects you are currently working on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work ! I presume you use photos and a vectorised version of the same picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here I used photos and the Cartoon filter from GIMP. Inkscape was used only for the speech bubbles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'I' is blending with other characters. but still great work!

    ReplyDelete