01 May 2008

Weekly Fedora Webcomics: the Desktop

Do you remember the Fedora stickers kit I talked a about a few days ago? Here is an usage suggestion:

[red hat and the desktop]


And in related news, my webcomic goes international! With baby steps, of course.

The first attempt was made by myself, I translated by hand the SVG (this is the advantage of having access to the source) and created a webcomic section on the Romanian Fedora community website.

On a strange coincidence, about at the same time lkundrak asked me for PO files, for proper translation, which make me to think of a proper solution. Then all I had to do was to remember I read a while ago about a piece by Andy about translating SVG, search for it and:

Create the English PO from the source SVG:
xml2po -a -o the_desktop.en-US.po the_desktop.svg

Create the Romanian PO from the source SVG:
xml2po -a -o the_desktop.ro-RO.po the_desktop.svg


Edit the translation (with gtranslator), save, create the Romanian SVG, export as PNG (with Inkscape) and publish it:
xml2po -a -p the_desktop.ro-RO.po the_desktop.svg > the_desktop.ro.svg


Now to get an infrastructure, to publish the source and the PO a few days in advance, to coordinate with translators, that is an effort. And I am not sure there is demand for it (and I lack the experience and time to set it up).

Note: making the SVG play nice with POs and translation required me to use some flowed text, a SVG feature not supported by Firefox 3 or EOG, so there are downsides.

No comments:

Post a Comment