07 May 2008

F10 Gears: Using some feedback

Before going to the meat of this post, here is a new instance of my mysterious countdown (the bets are still open):

[15]



After my last piece about colouring the Gears in an old paper style I got some interesting feedback (not sure if that was because what I did was good and stimulated people or because it was bad and prompted for corrections). Anyway, let's play a bit with the feedback:

Jude reminds me of the sculpting tool, one of the awesome features introduced in Inkscape 0.46, which I could have used instead of node simplification. It should be used in roughenmode:
gears

To get something like this:
gears


Greg is not happy with the amount of blur I used to soften the contours, and recommend either a different color for to just blur the edges:
gears

For something like this:
gears


Ryan points me to an alternate way to greate the paper-like texture, using the feTurbulence filter.
So I duplicated the background and got the the Filters dialog:
gears gears

Here I applied a Turbulence effect:
gears

Then color Matrix in Saturate mode to make it black and white:
gears

And some Gaussian Blur to blend it into the image:
gears


And here is the result, take the steps (original or alternate) you find useful for your own case:
gears

No comments:

Post a Comment